Monday, December 30, 2013

A Goddess is Continually Evolving: BREATHE!

This summer it came to my attention that I was not breathing properly.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I was not breathing properly.  I had assumed that if I knew how to do anything correctly, breathing would be at the top of the list.  After all, if I'd been screwing it up, I'd not be here now to expound on my inhaling and exhaling shortcomings.  I discovered, though, that there are optimal ways to breathe. And I wasn't breathing optimally. So, I did what I do when I am intrigued by a topic: I read a book about breathing.  Then I began practicing breathing properly.  And this has evolved into a breathing practice.  Let me explain.

It turns out that many of us are shallow breathers.  Unless you're a professional singer or an athlete, it is likely you're only using about 25% of your lung capacity with each breath.  We breathe into our upper torsos, avoiding that full big-belly breath.  If you've spent time in a yoga class, you've perhaps experienced the yogic breath.  The idea is to take in a full breath that expands your rib-cage and belly fully.  Try it now.  Does it feel uncomfortable or unnatural?  If so, you may not be getting enough oxygen in your body.
  


I think for many women, taking a big belly breath is a challenge. We are inundated with images of flat, fit, feminine tummies. When someone pulls out a camera or that special someone walks into the room, we suck our bellies in to show the most flattering version of our torsos.  So to take a full breath into the belly--one that expands said belly beyond the pre-determined acceptable deflated dimensions--may seem counter-intuitive.  But what if I told you that taking that deep belly breath may actually help your belly get closer to that flat, fit, feminine version (or a comparable masculine version, if that's what you're going for!)? Proper breathing could help flatten your stomach.  Really. Stay with me.

In my exploration of breathing, I have discovered that there are many benefits to taking in more oxygen.  And we take in more oxygen by practicing deep breathing. It turns out that deep breathing can:

  • Release tension from your body
  • Strengthen your lungs
  • Burn excess fat more efficiently (hence, could lead to a flatter tummy!)
  • Improve posture
  • Alleviate pain (in yoga class, you may visualize the breath going to a spot in your body that is sore. It can help--try it some time!).
These are just a few benefits; there are many more (check out the links below for some articles that go into the benefits of breathing in more detail).  As for me, I practice deep breathing regularly now--whenever I think of it.  I find that the alignment of my body is improved--my posture and a lengthening that just feels good.  When I feel stressed out, I practice an exercise I learned from Pam Grout in her book Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How to Lose Weight by Changing the Way You Breathe.  There are variations on this, but here's what I do: 
  1. Sit up straight or lie down flat on my back
  2. Breathe in through my nose to a count of four
  3. Hold the breath for a count of four
  4. Exhale through my mouth for a count of four
  5. Hold the exhale for a count of four
  6. Repeat steps 2-5 10 times.
This is a simple way that works for me in alleviating stress and tension in my body.  I have found that it's also a beneficial technique to use when struggling with cravings.  Taking an intentional time-out that engages the body--specifically the belly--can help when trying to figure out if that second serving is really what you need right now!

So, crazy as it may sound, I practice breathing. I'm not perfect yet, but I'm catching myself more often and finding those deep belly breaths to be rewarding and beneficial in body, mind, and spirit.  Let's face it: this is important for a Goddess-in-Training who is trying her best to evolve.


Want to read more about the benefits of deep breathing?  Here are some resources I found helpful:


No comments:

Post a Comment